Picnic Pinwheel Tutorial
MATERIALS & CUTTING:
Chartreuse/Color 1: 4 - 6.5 by 2.5 inches
Aqua/Color 2: 4 - 4.5 by 2.5 inches
Coral/Color 3: 4 - 2.5 inches square
Chartreuse/Color 4: 4 - 2.5 inches square
**For this tutorial: all seams are sewn at a scant quarter inch, seams are pressed open, and diagonals are sewn using the Frog Tape Trick. RST = right sides together,
1. Start by taking the four 6.5 by 2.5 inch pieces and four 2.5 inch background squares. RST sew diagonally across the white square. Trim away extra fabric and press open.
2. Next, take the four 4.5 by 2.5 inch pieces and four 2.5 inch background squares. RST sew the opposite direction you sewed the diagonal in step one. Trim away extra fabric and press open.
3. Use the 4.5 inch background squares and the 2.5 squares of color to make the corner piece. RST sew diagonally across the colored square. Trim away extra fabric and press open.
4. Using the last 2.5 inch color squares, repeat step 3 to the opposite corner. Trim away extra fabric and press open.
5. Putting RST sew together the 4.5 inch square and the 4.5 inch rectangle on all four pieces. Press open.
6. Next, RST sew the 6.5 inch rectangle on all four pieces. Press open. Now each quadrant of the design is completed.
7. Lay out the four quadrants, rotating as shown above.
9. RST sew the two sides of the block together. Press open.
10. Admire the finished block!
The block will finish at 12 inches square, unfinished 12.5 inches square. If you have any questions or need clarification on a part please feel free to email or leave a comment below.
Stay tuned on Thursday I am releasing my first quilt pattern using this block! Here is a little sneak peak. Being a first I am super excited to share with everyone.
Until then check out these other bloggers who are releasing a new block tutorial today!
Host – Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl
Kelly @Quilting it Out
Martha @Once a Wingnut
Irene @Patchwork and Pastry
Cassandra @The (not so) Dramatic Life
Andrea @The Sewing Fools
Bernie @Needle and Foot
Silvia @A Stranger View
Wanda @Wanda’s Life Sampler
Sandra @Musings of a Menopausal Melon
Vicki @Orchid Owl Quilts
Jess @Quilty Habit
Diana @Red Delicious Life
Chelsea @Patch the Giraffe
Margo @Shadow Lane Quilts
Renee @Quilts of a Feather